Friday 29 April 2011

Readings, House of Anansi, Roller Derby, and Government Funding

It's been an eventful week.

On Monday, I read at the end of year shindig for the graduates of U of T's Master's in English and Creative Writing. It went splendidly and someone mistook Jane Urquhart for my aunt. I think that's an excellent sign of a first-rate mentor. My fellows were smart, engaging, and talented. I will want their books signed someday.

More recently, I went to House of Anansi Press' launch of three poetry titles. Standing with some friends and avoiding the occasional broken glass, I heard Ken Babstock read from Methodist Hatchet, Sharon Thesen read from Oyama Pink Shale, and Matt Rader from A Doctor Pedalled Her Bicycle Over the River Arno. I also had some really excellent macaroni and cheese at the Victory Cafe, but the poetry was equally surprising, especially when Ken Babstock used the phrase "chicken-rapist" and made the room titter.

In derby news, I've ordered new skates and I've started to learn how to do cross-overs. Having a partner who played a lot of hockey has definite advantages.

LOCO London, my league, is having their first bout this Sunday. Check the site here. Working together with the Sexual Assault Center of London, LOCO has opened up last-minute tickets for both self-defense classes and a rocking bout. I've seen these women skate and it's going to be  gorgeous.

Finally, I finally checked my mail and I have a SSHRC CGS for the next three years of my PhD. I couldn't be more delighted to go to school this autumn with such great financial support.

In the mean-time, I'll be working on my cross-overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment