Wednesday 4 May 2011

New Skates!

Photo credit to Rollergirl.ca
Today's post is all about new skates. Taking advantage of Rollergirl.ca's spring sale, I got my first pair of brand new skates. They are Riedell 265s, similar to those seen above, though mine have royal blue Flatouts, China Bones REDS bearings and a Suregrip toe-stop.

After giddily unpacking them and attaching my toe snouts (as my landlord repaired my window-ledge and presumably wondered what I was doing with that wrench), I wore them while working on my laptop, in order to get a feel for the boot. Last night, I took them out for a spin, whereupon they punished me brutally. I also did several superman slides without my elbow pads on. That actually wasn't their fault so much.

The wet sock method has been suggested for the purpose of breaking in the skates, but I think I'll just give them time. After several months of skating on a used pair, I want to be as careful with these as possible, with the awareness that derby is brutal on skates anyway. I was skating on an old pair of Riedell Torqs, which are solid skates, but were a bit small for me, with indoor/outdoor wheels. I'm figuring out whether to donate them to the league or keep them as an outdoor pair I don't mind getting banged up. It would be nice to keep them in the family, since they're another player's old skates.

Derby practice is tomorrow night, so I think I'll spend my evening wearing my skates, editing, and occasionally marveling at how well the new bearings roll. It will be very academic.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really have any trouble breaking in my 265s, so I would give them another chance before you start worrying. If you're anything like me, I think you'll find that your skating ability will improve once you get used to you new skates! Also, make sure you get the trucks adjusted properly. Dark Wolf is the pro you want to talk to!
    Oh, and I have a Wipe-Out program for you in my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like the boot... I've saved up enough to buy new skates, and those are the ones I'm most interested in =)

    ReplyDelete