Thursday 10 November 2011

Going Butch: Roller Derby for the Happily Non-femme -- Part One

DC Rollergirls Logo
Generally, roller derby features a hyper-femininity without the passivity that society often associates with being feminine. Instead, derby girls are commonly pictured as stereotypically sexy and feminine in addition to being born ass-kickers. There are fishnets and booty shorts to go with that black-eye, we assure potential buyers of tickets to bouts.

Of course, there is an argument to be made that the kind of aggression that derby is often marketed to have doesn't, in fact, break through gender stereotypes, but retreads how we conceive of female aggression, namely in terms of the cat-fight. That isn't actually my main point today, but the problems presented by the popular conception of derby as ultra-femme aggression affect something close to my heart, specifically that it can create an environment unwelcoming to butch women.

I'm writing this post today partially in response to the fact that my blog stats page informed me that someone Googled "roller derby butch" and ended up on my blog.  I searched it myself to see what was out there. To be clear: there aren't a whole lot of relevant results for that search, in part because derby is not often marketed as being friendly to butch women.

How then, can leagues work on ensuring that women who don't go in for knee socks can still feel welcome in their local derby league? I have three suggestions.

If you have the credit info for this, let me know!
1) Stop relying on the pin-up. Derby's love affair with the retro fun of pin-up photography is fun, but it's not all we are. As a league, as a producer of posters, bout guides, team logos, websites, etc, try harder to depict derby in more diverse ways - there are so many different ways of being a woman and cuban heel stockings don't define all of them. Our imagery tells prospective players whether or not they are likely to be welcome in our league. Is your marketing welcoming to butch women?

2) Explore what falls outside stereotypical femininity. This is not to say that we have to give up being femme on the track. Hot pants are fun and I enjoy when my team-mates rock them.  But you don't need to be wearing glitter make-up to skate in a jam. Support your fellow players who don't go for stereotypically feminine wear. What's empowering for you might be stifling for them. As a team-member, consider how your team's uniforms, logo, and brand may be saying, "No bois allowed".

3) Market directly to butch women. Derby and diversity can go hand in hand - the excitement of derby league involvement in Pride Parades is proof of that. In Toronto, we even have the yearly Clam Slam - an all-queer derby extravaganza. This is not to say that a queer woman is necessarily a butch woman or vice versa. But putting up a poster indicating that you accept *all* women in your league in spaces that support butch women (such as your local queer bar or a meeting space for folks who don't go in for gender normativity) is a good step toward making your league more friendly to butch players and ultimately stronger for that diversity.


By the amazing Cristy C. Road for Bitch Magazine, 2005
On Monday, look for Part Two of this post, a more in-depth discussion of suggestions for butch players who still want action on the track while being themselves. There should also be a Part Three featuring amazing butch players and role models in Canada and farther afield who I may or may not have crushes on.

5 comments:

  1. I want to start and be clear that I speak for myself and not my former league.

    I hear you and you make points I totally agree with, but as a formed DC rollergirl I want to defend our league as it is being called out and our logo is being used. Often leagues begin with creating a logo and then their league develops over time. If you were to take a look at flyers for the past few years you would see that we have truely diverse and inclusive posters of all body types. I invite you to take a look at the website and see all the wonderful artwork.

    I, like you, get so frustred to see many of the new leagues coming out with names that reflect these sterotypes, but I also have faith they will move past the wanting to be a rollgirl to wanting to be an athlete that plays the sport of roller derby.

    I will always be frustred with statements like, "ya we wear fishnets and hit each other and it is so hot", but I am also someone that has personally moved through this evolution from making those statements to becoming an athlete.

    I believe this attitude reflects how rollerderby is represented in the media and I cannot expect anyone to come into the sport already enlightened on the subject. In fact, I expect this same attitude, but I also make sure I am accountable to the sport and imopress upon new skaters that we are athletes that play a sport. I also have noticed that those who continue the attitude get naturally filtered out as they come to the realization that is not really about the fishnets and pin ups.

    So, just thought I would throw it out there. I loved our logo and I know the person that worked very hard on it. It speaks to our history and it also speaks to our future.

    Thanks for listening. Your article was thought provoking and speaks to the challenge that so many leagues face. Additionally, I hope many leagues that are forming read this and take it to heart. I hope it gives them pause when coming up with names for their leagues and their teams.

    I just felt a bit singled out as a league through use the DC logo and wanted to share my experience skating under it.

    Karlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlene,

    Thank-you for your comment! I looked through the DC Rollergirls website and you're totally right. Next Monday, I'm going to post a clarification/correction about the DC Rollergirls and discuss what I've learned about them since this post. Please feel free to let me know what you think of it. I can always use advice on being respectful - I love derby and the folks who play it. My complaints are always secondary to my love for the sport, but I need to make sure that's clear.

    And my intention was not to just complain about leagues that have femme images, but to encourage wider diversity, such as the kind the DC Rollergirls feature. Thanks for letting me know - I'll be sure to dig a little deeper the next time I use a league's image.

    It's difficult to balance using specific examples without singling out leagues and it's something I'm still working on. I'm sorry for not clarifying that I didn't intend to single out DC disrespectfully.

    More generally, I get the difficulty of having to work with the shallow "fish nets and babes" reaction. I think I failed to aim my frustration at the right people. Thank-you for calling me out on it.

    Again, thank-you for your response. Reading it was a great learning experience.

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. One problem with derby is that it's trying to revive a discredited sport that faded away but still lives on in peoples memories. Another is confusion around whether or not it's a sport or an exercise in 'empowerment'. If it's the latter, then no problem. Dress however you like, adopt whatever name you like. If it's the former then there are serious issues with mismatched teams and blow-out final scores. I have suggested a handicap system like in golf. One woman with a rather alarming derby name dismissed that out-of-hand. "We aren't a joke sport!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... When choosing photos for our team's website we were careful to use a variety of photos both of our training sessions and from photoshoots we had done - they're not un-feminine but they do show us as a team and represent our ethos... I think that's fair... Not speaking for my league here just as me x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that sexiness has pervaded the sport of roller derby - but this was long before WFTDA and the last handful of years where the push to becoming a serious sport existed. That said, there are many aspects of roller derby, nods to the past if you will (e.g. creating derby names, numbers bigger than 2 digits/that include letters), that I believe WFTDA needs to adjust to be seen as a serious sport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the alter ego I put on when wheels are on my feet; however, the world may see us as athletic, but not as *athletes* until some things change - fishnets included.

    Anyway, I went off topic! Our current logo manifests exactly what you're speaking to, and I know our team has considered changing it to reflect the current vibe of the team and the sport. We are fortunate enough to have both sides of the feminine coin representing us on the team and used in our advertising, posters, etc.

    Finally, I am terribly excited to know that WFTDA has adopted a transgender policy, as well. http://wftda.com/news/wftda-adopts-gender-policy

    I, as well, only speak for myself, not for my league.

    ReplyDelete