Monday 18 June 2012

Both Sides Now: Coming Back to Derby as a Referee

Dundee Roller Girls Ref Poster
In the long radio silence of this blog, rather a lot has gone on, including a trip to England and my decision to try derby as a referee rather than a player. My anxiety is quite particular regarding what does and does not freak me out - strangely, making quick decisions and dealing with angry derby girls is not a source of anxiety for me. I know - it's weird. But I've received wonderful support from my league and I have to tip special thanks in the direction of our refs, Tank and Om Nom Chomsky. They have been remarkably supportive and honest about the fact that reffing is hard work.

Perhaps it's bad planning, but I'm restarting a lot of things today. I'm getting back on the studying wagon for my comps exams. I'm restarting this blog. I'm actually trying to get to practice on a Monday. I'm starting my rules studying, which will contrast nicely with all the Plato and Hegel. I'm again trying to unpack my room, which looks rather like an art installation on procrastination and the cardboard box.

But if you're taking one plunge, you may as well really make it count. Reffing is not without its attendant anxieties, of course - I've already had one well-meaning player remind me that female referees sometimes get looked down on for not being players instead, which is a post in its own right. And frankly refs get yelled at by virtue of being refs, pretty much regardless of the sport involved. Derby refs in particular have to know the rules of a very complex game and players, spectators and other officials depend on them to be observant, efficient, judicious, and fair. Reffing is hard work and it's real work. And I will have to discover if I can hack it or not, but I'm excited to give it a try.
TCRG 2010 Ref Poster

And in the mean time, I'll be practicing my ref dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment