Thursday 16 June 2011

Writing Desks, Tree Branches and a Cave of One's Own

Sadly, not everyone who writes has a hermitage, so we make do with dens, coffee-shops and frequently in my case, my couch or bed. These last were nominally comfortable, but the longer I wrote the more pronounced the curl of my spine became, so I took the plunge and rolled off the couch. It's only recently that I've made the switch to a desk. It has drawers. It has good light. It looks sturdy enough to support a mug of tea.

My ideal writing place would be a comfortable tree branch, but since my handwriting is messy at best and my laptop and collar-bone are surprisingly fragile, I've decided on this particular perch.

My other options below the level of branches were limited. I have friends who go to write in coffee-shops and university libraries, both of which I find far too crowded and heady with caffeinated people. Having recently moved to an apartment, I'm sadly without a back-yard (inhumane though it would be in winter). My new living room is certainly out of bounds, because my room-mate doesn't to hear that much cursing as she's trying to read (except when I'm playing video games, of course, in which case I howl loud enough for the neighbours to hear). Our kitchen table is covered in plants and I like them where they are, so the desk was my only option. I was unsure at first, as my last foray into desks involved a deep alcove that made me feel like a bat with bad spatial orientation.

There's something romantic about a wooden desk, though, especially a second-hand one. This one has been pretty bumped about for such a little desk and most of the drawers won't fit a regulation printer page, which suits me fine. The drawer handles are bronze-coloured metal and they are so small they will only fit one finger. I picked it up at a second-hand shop in the East Village for $35 and I like to think it's the veteran of the two of us in a writing game.

Then again, if I found an Ikea sticker on the back, I wouldn't be heart-broken. If I can't have a tree branch, I'll swing on this. It's sturdy and most of my printer fits on it.

Upcoming: back on (the) track for derby practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment